UWinnipeg theatre team earns awards
The University of Winnipeg congratulates all of the award winners at the EVIES on Monday, November 4, and those that were nominated. UWinnipeg is especially proud of our winners that include staff, faculty, and several UWinnipeg alumni.
“It was a very good night for folks affiliated with the UWinnipeg’s Department of Theatre and Film,” said Christopher Brauer, Chair. “It was wonderful to see many of our graduates in attendance – both as nominees and as established members of the local performing arts community. Many of our former students were nominees, and, while some didn’t win, the nominations speak highly of their talents and their training, and we are immeasurably proud of all of them.”
The winners include:
- Melinda Tallin, office manager and student advisor, received the Behind the Scenes Award for her many years of service supporting actors, artistic directors, and now students.
- Kayla Gordon, who formerly taught the Musical Theatre course (contract faculty, now retired) received the Theatre Educator Award for a long career of training young performers and aiding them in establishing their careers.
- Jacquie Loewen, graduate and contract faculty, won as part of the Outstanding Choreography/Fight Direction team behind Matilda the Musical at the Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre.
- Christopher Bauer, Chair, won Outstanding Director for his production of John at the Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre.
This production also received awards for Outstanding Supporting Actress (Maggie Nagle) and Outstanding Production.
- Brian Perchaluk, a graduate, received the Career Contribution Award for his outstanding career in the area of production design.